Saturday, December 19, 2009
Here is our Christmas House! We are bunkered down waiting to see how much snow we are to get tonight. Rumor has it about 20 inches. Which will be very nice seeing as we have not had a white Christmas where we are for years. Of course, the children are excited and after about an hour of getting them ready to go out in the snow..they lasted all of 15 minutes! Ha!
I am getting my posts ready to catch up! They include fabulous dinners, wonderful company, a few trees, decorations, and of course children! I am preparing to sit back and catch up on The Nester's Holiday House Tour and have some Bailey's whilst under the covers!
Have a great night,
Wednesday, December 9, 2009
I am however halfway decorated for Christmas. Yikes! Our house still has some projects going so I am finding it hard to draw the line between which ones to continue and which ones to decorate around. Last year we only had six days to decorate before Christmas because we moved. I am spending some time going through our decorations, organizing, tossing, and donating. It is amazing how much this stuff accumulates! I do have purging inspiration, though. Actually it is like a fire under my a*%! The fire is my new obsession called Hoarders on A&E. Holy Krikes! I can not believe how some of these people live! I ,of course, am now on a ranging decluttering streak.
I am not a hoarder..nor does my house look like ANYTHING on this show but I definitely feel the need to get rid of EVERYTHING that is somewhat questionable in my home. For example, I was a teacher. I also taught theatre arts. I have to some degree been taught to save everything.... in case you need it. I have saved all my teaching materials for almost ten years in case I go back to teaching. Now, everything is tucked neatly into boxes, et al. but it is alot of boxes in my basement that have a 50/50 chance of me using again.
Have any of you career women turned stay at home moms had this problem? Or is it just me?
For now, I will leave you with a picture of mantel last year. Thanks to The Nester's tutorial I will never look at garland the same way again. This year our mantel is under construction, I am sure I could pull this off again and hide everything. We shall see!
Have a great day!
Monday, November 16, 2009
Second, Twilight's New Moon comes out this weekend! I cannot decide if I should go at midnight on Thursday or a Friday Matinee. I will let you know.
Third, Project Runway's season finale this Thursday night. I am rooting for Carol Hannah. I think her dresses are great and I cannot wait to see her collection.
This week I will be baking for the children's school Christmas Bazaar bake sale. I will be trying some of Saucy's Sprinkles recipes like the mini candy cane hearts and Hopsy's cake balls as well as making chocolate covered pretzels! Again, I will let you know how it all turns out! We are new to this school and I am not sure of the workings of this event. I am the Home and School's Social Committee Chairperson but this event is not related. I am still figuring out where I want to be while helping out where help is needed.
And ..getting ready for Thanksgiving! I am so excited this year I found this platter at Home Goods
with some matching plates. I have always wanted turkey plates for Thanksgiving. My china is white with a silver edge and I wanted brown turkey plates so I could add in any color (or change colors) each year.
I also have a gorgeous tablecloth. If the day does not get too crazy I will take some pictures and post the tablescape. We are having everyone over and the holiday weekend is jam packed!
Lastly, we are finished installing our hardwood floors! My husband and I set out over a month ago to install hardwood floors in our foyer, dining room, mudroom, kitchen and family room. My husband was a big help =;) We chose Southern Yellow Pine in a 12" width. As of yesterday, the third coat of sealant was applied. I would like a darker look but we decided to wait until the spring to do any more coats. This is NOT our home...our home is in alittle disarray because of sealing the floor this weekend BUT this is exactly like our floors!
I will post before and after pics when our house gets itself together! (Hopefully by next week!)
Have a great day!
Tuesday, November 10, 2009
Saturday, October 31, 2009
Tuesday, October 20, 2009
An awful laundry closet. We had to turn the dryer sideways to open the door!!! And this was across from the pantry *which is under construction =;)* so this area was impossible to manuever.
After: A spacious mudroom. I still need to craft a bench cushion and add more baskets but overall I am very happy!
We had the washer and dryer relocated in the house so I could repurpose this room as a mudroom. It took a weekend to construct and another weekend to caulk and paint overall not too long. With fve kids and tons of coats, etc..we needed the space!
Friday, October 9, 2009
Tuesday, September 29, 2009
Wednesday, September 9, 2009
Monday, August 24, 2009
Yes, we had a very busy summer. We are settling into our house yet we are still under a bit of construction. (New floors and countertops get installed in a few weeks). I am documenting our journey and hope to post all of the before and afters. School starts for us in two weeks. The older two and the middle two all start the same day! Little one stays home for yet another year!
Monday, May 25, 2009
Saturday, April 18, 2009
Today, as we were busy cleaning around the house, I came across our changing table. We purchased this table from Pottery Barn Kids more than 8 years ago. I remember the day we purchased our little man's nursery set and how excited I was on delivery day. Time really has gone by so quickly. Our oldest has just turned 8 and our youngest is 18 months. We have used this table for all of our children, more so than the cribs. Because the children are so close in age, we have had more than one crib set up at any given time! But the baby has been sharing a room since we have moved and we have not had room for the table.
Today, I moved our table into the garage to convert into a gardening station. I can not believe it will never hold another baby. And this is bitter sweet. We are potty training our fourth and I can see the end of diapers in the near future. Believe me, I am more than ready not to change another diaper yet it is a another reminder that that they are growing up. And soon we will be a house without babies, which will be different for us.
I know, I know..an 18 month old is technically still a "baby". But with four older siblings, she is growing in leaps and bounds. When your "baby" tells you "no" to some kisses so that she can run with the others, it really sinks in how fast time slips by.
For now, I will look to the future and hold on to the past. And relish in every moment that they are young.
Tuesday, April 7, 2009
With three boxes of dye, 36 eggs and some embellishments, we are done our eggs. We have strayed from our usual tradition of dyeing our eggs the night before Easter to dyeing the eggs the weekend before Easter. Since we would be away I decided to make the change and now we can bring our eggs with us so the Easter Bunny can hide them. I also wanted to make this change because I am a little tired of taking my children to church Easter Sunday dressed in their Easter best only to have their hands and arms dyed purplish brown from the night before festivities.
This year has also marked a change for us as the older children's eggs actually looked like Easter eggs. For the last several years, my minis have taken great joy in sticking all of their eggs in every color on the table resulting in said purplish-brown eggs. Now they are very interested in keeping their eggs one color, etc. We finally have bright Easter eggs.
My fourth little one is still grasping the egg concept. She dyed the eggs well for being two and half years old. As soon as she retrieved the egg from the cup, however, she saw it fit to peel the shell off of ever single one of her eggs. She was addicted. Then as I was cleaning up she started to carry around this little Easter tin as a suitcase. Too cute. Fast forward to bedtime when she requests me to remove her Easter eggs from the tin. I opened the tin to remove two very brown de-shelled eggs. Oh..she is a bugger. Thank goodness she asked! I certainly did not want to find this little treasure after we returned from our trip. Yikes!
Friday, March 6, 2009
Wednesday, March 4, 2009
5 cups of water boiled
8 level tsp sugar
1 level tsp salt
Stir together until sugar/salt is dissolved. Wait until cooled to serve.
It is really simple and I think there are other ways to make this.... I am just relaying what my family uses in hopes to help anyone else that may be in the same situation.
Sunday, March 1, 2009
Thursday, February 12, 2009
It seems like the time has gone by so fast..but to her ....it must have crept by. She is so excited to have her own school Valentine's Day party. Now she has a bag full of Valentine's wishes and treats and she feels like she is one of the "big kids" now.
Wednesday, February 4, 2009
Here you go mommies - a different kind of survey for a change - it's all about your first born! Just copy and paste it in a new note-change answers to yours.This will be fun for all the pregnant ladies to read!Let's see how much you remember!
1. WAS YOUR FIRST PREGNANCY PLANNED? No.
2. WERE YOU MARRIED AT THE TIME? Yes.
3. WHAT WERE YOUR REACTIONS? I was very excited and nervous.
4. IF TRYING-FOR HOW LONG? N/A
5. HOW OLD WERE YOU? 29
6. HOW DID YOU FIND OUT YOU WERE PREGNANT? Home Pregnancy test...I think six of
7. WHO DID YOU TELL FIRST? My Husband!
8. DID YOU WANT TO FIND OUT THE SEX? I did..he didn't.. so we compromised and found out
9. DUE DATE? April 1, 2001
10. DID YOU HAVE MORNING SICKNESS? No.
11. WHAT DID YOU CRAVE? Pizza with hot sauce and peanut butter and jelly sandwich with
12. WHO/WHAT IRRITATED YOU THE MOST? My extreme exhaustion.
13. WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST CHILD'S SEX? Boy.
14. DID YOU WISH YOU HAD THE OPPOSITE SEX OF WHAT YOU WERE GETTING? No.
15. HOW MANY POUNDS DID YOU GAIN THROUGHOUT THE PREGNANCY? 32 lbs.
16. DID YOU HAVE A BABY SHOWER? Yes.
17. WAS IT A SURPRISE OR DID YOU KNOW? It was a surprise.
18. DID YOU HAVE ANY COMPLICATIONS DURING YOUR PREGNANCY? None, other then
delivering six weeks early.
19. WHERE DID YOU GIVE BIRTH? PA
20. HOW MANY HOURS WERE YOU IN LABOR? 40 hrs give or take. My water broke at three
in the morning early Friday and I did not give birth untill after 8pm on Saturday. I did
not go into labor naturally and being six weeks early, they had to induce me. (Twice
two 12 hr bouts of pitocin)
21. WHO DROVE YOU TO THE HOSPITAL? My husband.
22. WHO WATCHED YOU GIVE BIRTH? My husband and the hospital crew.
23. WAS IT NATURAL OR C-SECTION? natural
24. DID YOU TAKE MEDICINE TO EASE THE PAIN? Yes,after laboring for a day, they first
gave me nubain then as I got closer to Saturday night.. an epidural.
25. HOW MUCH DID YOUR CHILD WEIGH? 6lbs, 1oz
26. WHEN WAS YOUR CHILD ACTUALLY BORN? February 24, 2001
27. HOW OLD IS YOUR FIRST BORN TODAY? 8 (in a few weeks)
28. WHAT WOULD YOU GO BACK AND CHANGE? I would have definitely forgone some of the
pain medication (nubain).
1. WERE YOU NAMED AFTER ANYONE? Yes. My Aunt.
2. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU CRIED? Last night. Another aunt of mine was just
diagnosed with cancer.
3. DO YOU LIKE YOUR HANDWRITING? No.
4. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE LUNCH MEAT? Turkey.
5. DO YOU HAVE KIDS? Yes.
6. IF YOU WERE ANOTHER PERSON WOULD YOU BE FRIENDS WITH YOU? Yes.
7. DO YOU USE SARCASM? Yes.
8. DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR TONSILS? Yes.
9. WOULD YOU BUNGEE JUMP? Yes.
10. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CEREAL? Reeses Peanut
12. DO YOU HAVE ANY PETS? Yes. Violet(dog), Miley(cat), Zach & Cody (2 parakeets)
11. DO YOU UNTIE YOUR SHOES WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OFF? No.
13. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ICE CREAM? Anything with Peanut
14. WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU NOTICE ABOUT PEOPLE? Hair.
15. RED OR PINK? Pink.
16. WHAT IS YOUR LEAST FAVORITE THING ABOUT YOURSELF?
I take on too many projects at once.
17. WHO DO YOU MISS THE MOST? No one.
18. DO YOU WANT EVERYONE TO COMPLETE THIS LIST? Everyone.
19. WHAT COLOR PANTS AND SHOES ARE YOU WEARING? blue jeans, black boots
21. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW? Minis playing in the living room.
22. IF YOU WERE A CRAYON, WHAT COLOR WOULD YOU BE? Green.
23. FAVORITE SMELL? Christmas trees.
24. WHO WAS THE LAST PERSON YOU TALKED TO? My children.
25. DO YOU LIKE THE PERSON WHO SENT THIS TO YOU? I love her!(my cousin)
26. FAVORITE SPORTS TO WATCH? My son's baseball games.
27. HAIR COLOR? Blonde.
28. EYE COLOR? Green.
29. DO YOU WEAR CONTACTS? No. I have perfect vision.
30. FAVORITE FOOD? Homemade anything.
31. SCARY MOVIES OR HAPPY ENDINGS? Both.
32. LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED? The Other Boleyn Girl.
33. WHAT COLOR SHIRT ARE YOU WEARING? Green.
34. SUMMER OR WINTER? Summer.
35. HUGS OR KISSES? Hugs.
36. FAVORITE DESSERT? Reeses' peanut butter cup.
37. MOST LIKELY TO RESPOND? ?
38.LEAST LIKELY TO RESPOND? ?
39. WHAT BOOK ARE YOU READING NOW? The Twilight Series... I just finished second in series.
40. WHAT IS ON YOUR MOUSE PAD? Something from my husband's work.
41. WHAT DID YOU WATCH ON TV LAST NIGHT? I did not watch t.v. last night.
42. FAVORITE SOUND(S)? My children.
43. ROLLING STONES OR BEATLES? Neither.
44. WHAT IS THE FARTHEST YOU HAVE BEEN FROM HOME? France.
45. DO YOU HAVE A SPECIAL TALENT? I'm creative.
46. WHERE WERE YOU BORN? Phila, PA
47. WHOSE ANSWERS ARE YOU LOOKING FORWARD TO GETTING BACK? Everyone
48. HOW DID YOU MEET YOUR SPOUSE/SIGNIFICANT OTHER? We met at my cousin's wedding while I was in college and then again at a family Christmas party.
49. IS THE CUP HALF FULL OR HALF EMPTY? Half full.
50. IF YOU COULD SIT DOWN TO DINNER WITH FIVE PEOPLE WHO WOULD YOU CHOOSE? Barack Obama, Eckhart Toile, Martha Stewart,Josh Groban and my husband.